I've bought some swings!! Basically there's very little for the kids out in Treak, the village of my school, "to do" (although I have to admit that they do remarkably well in amusing themselves for hours with a little bit of paper rolled into a ball or something similar)... so I decided to buy them an early Xmas gift (instead of all the presents I would be buying you guys if I was in Europe for Xmas ;-) and "my" swings arrived on Friday, to be dug into the ground and painted etc etc. I wanted to share how much excitement they created before they were even set in the ground (and could be properly used).
I figured I'd take this opportunity to get the following information out there, Xmas being around the corner and all ;-). The organization I'm working for is called Cambodia Orphan Fund and is run by a guy called Nick. It is quite small but growing and Nick is an amazingly dedicated guy, working with tiny overhead. They are focused on "breaking the poverty cycle" by providing sustainable solutions and education to Cambodia's poor or orphaned children. They also have a relatively newer project of "family support" to very very poor families they come across as they make their way around Siem Reap in search of children for the orphanage and schools. I have met two of those families, one is a family of 9 children, who lived (and I'm not exaggerating, can show you pictures if you're interested) in a "house" the size of a Peugeot 106. If you want to look into sponsoring a child, a family, or just making a one-off donation go to their website (link above) or let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment