Monday, 21 September 2009

Breathless



You know the saying that "life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away"... if that's true, I lived yesterday -- as I walked through the gates and laid eyes on the Taj Mahal. Other than the Taj, Agra also had a very pretty Red Fort on offer and a whole lotta very eager salespeople, of all ages and with all the tricks in the book. It quickly gets very tiring so I escaped to the Amanvilas hotel for a quiet read in the bar, the drink I splashed out on was more than I paid for my hotel room. And speaking of hotel rooms. I have NEVER been happier to hear my alarm go off at 445am in the morning before, but my room was so hot and the fan kept blowing hot air around that I kept having nightmares that I had fallen asleep in the Bikram Yoga room.

My early rise didn't pay off cause the train (was supposed to leave at 615am) was delayed, not a big surprise, but it was delayed by 3hrs. Luckily I met a nice English couple so we could have a chat, a chai, and watch the rats on the tracks and the craziness going on at the station together.

9hrs later I finally arrived in Jaipur, or the "Pink City" and a true shoppers delight (I didn't know the rainbow had that many colors). I decided that I had been roughing it for too long so I've actually splashed out and am currently sitting by a pool, sipping a cold Sprite and my room has A/C!!


1 comment: