I've had a few beautiful days in Udaipur (India's Venice and home to the famous Lake Palace) -- and one not so nice day when I finally got hit by the (in)famous Delhi belly, but I will spare you the details. Udaipur is (relatively) quiet, there's not a ton to do, but it's a great place to just roam. One of the highlights was probably the night I went hunting for a spot to watch the sunset... There are a bunch of them around Udaipur, but they are not all straightforward to get to. But I met a nice chick called Laura, who shared my passion, so we ventured out together one evening. We decided to head for the so called Monsoon Palace, about 6-7km outside Udaipur. However, we soon found out that auto-rickshaws were no longer allowed (road too dangerous...) hence taxis were extortionate (sp?). So we asked around and found a guy who had a friend who could take us on his motorbike. Off we went. Something broke down in communication though (as it does) so we got there an hour before sunset and the lad didn't particularly feel like waiting around. So back we went (it was a nice drive and nice views despite the sun still being up), and decided to chase onto the so-called Sunset Spot. Finally found a rickshaw driver that was willing to take us there for a decent 130 Rs (1.50 quid). However, we realised he didn't really have the horsepower as we were chugging up the hill, so by the time we got there, the sun was halfway through dipping down... It was beautiful nonetheless. Pictures will come when I'm next wi-fi'd up.
So, now I've made my way back to Delhi to meet up with my "Yoga Family" for a drive to Rishikesh in the morning and the next installation of my adventure. I will let you know how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
is that a stomach bug? i'm so sorry...that has to be the worst to go through while you're there.
ReplyDeleteHi Fanny,
ReplyDeleteI just got through some of your interesting reports - have you ever thought of being a writer for "the lonley planet"? ;-))
Well, all these great names - Taj Mahal - Jaipur - Udaipur. I myself had once the great pleasure to visit and enjoy the magic of that part of India. Will you be going south? Any Indian treats like Ayurveda? Highly recommended by Dr. Keller - after 10 days of pure relaxation combined with a bit of yoga I felt 10 years younger for a long time...
Well, I hope all is well on your part of this beautiful world.
I'll follow your elaborated comments more often and wish you a great time in Cambodia!
All the best from good old Switzerland. Missing you. Fredi